I encourage you to learn more about how HKU can support your global aspiration.Learn More About Professor Kao
Professor W. John Kao
Vice-President and Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Global)
The continuing globalization of higher education is inevitable in an ever-interconnected and mobile world. HKU is strategically situated in China with qualities and attributes required by the international academic community. We will leverage our incredible talents, assets, and experiences in strengthening ties with strategic partners consisting of Mainland and overseas in order to foster future global leaders who are equipped to tackle grand challenges of a rapidly changing world.
The diverse HKU campus is a fertile ground to foster future leaders with global acumen while committed to upholding the plurality of the Hong Kong society and its distinctiveness. Not only are we providing opportunities for our students and staff in Hong Kong, we are training them to apply their talents and to be successful anywhere.
We will amplify on-campus engagement, diversity, and inclusiveness that are augmented by international opportunities for everyone in teaching & learning, research, and knowledge exchange.
Enhance Global Opportunities
Leverage existing HKU talents, assets, and programmes with strategic partners consist of peer universities, alumni, industry, and community partners to enhance student learning and career options and to explore new opportunities to augment research enterprise.
- Increase utility and activity of programmes with partners
- Increase number of research projects and student learning options with substantial international component
- Increase number of double degree programmes, grant applications, knowledge generation, dissemination, and implementation with Mainland and international partners
- Establish a set of international core competencies for students and staff
Diversify International Portfolio
Strengthen and diversify HKU international programme portfolio that is faculty-driven while ensuring campus relevance, academic excellence, program sustainability, and local connectedness.
- Increase number of trans-disciplinary activities with international partners and tackle global issues that are connected locally
- Update university policies to reflect our global vision
Promote Campus Diversity
Promote campus international and cultural diversity while ensuring a strong sense of community.
- Increase the diversity of our student body
- Implement campus activities to promote diversity awareness, empowerment, and integration
Amplify Global Engagement
Promote HKU branding, alumni engagement, and ranking by amplifying global engagement, international reputation, and societal impact.
- Advance international visibility and presence
- Increase online activities, outlets and social media presence